Sunday 22 September 2013

Great Blog Bake Off - Biscuit tower show stopper!

Firstly I let me explain that I am taking part in the Great blog bake off, have been for weeks now but something always got in the way of me posting on my blog before the linky closing at 8pm Sunday night.  Yes I know I have all week and then I realise that I have spent all week planning my bake then leaving it till Sunday to bake.  I will do better next week (by the way this has been my mantra for the last five weeks).

So far I have made a Pimms Cake



Then I made Cinnamon Swirls

 
 
I have missed two weeks due to lack of time and other commitments.
 
This week I have been organised to bake and I attempted a biscuit tower show stopper.
 
I made two types of biscuits, the first ones where a rocky road biscuit.  The recipe is
 
125g unsalted butter
100g granulated sugar
75g soft brown sugar
1 egg
2 teaspoons of vanilla extract
150g plain flour
50g cherries cut in to pieces
30g small marshmallows cut in two
30g white chocolate
1 table spoon of coco powder
1/2 teaspoon of baking powder
 
Melt the butter and add to the sugars, combine then add the egg and vanilla extract.  Once all this is mix add the flour, coco powder and baking powder.  Give this a good mix then add the cherries, marshmallows and chocolate. Stir in then leave to rest for five minutes - I find the biscuits bake better if the mixture has been rested.
 
Oh before you melt the butter pop your oven on to 180 degrees to warm up.
 
Once the biscuit mix has rested, line some baking sheets with baking parchment and spoon out to what ever size you wish.  A table spoon of mixture makes a giant biscuit, a half table spoon makes a smallish biscuit.  Be warn the mixture spread when baking.
I made a variety of sizes for the biscuit tower.
 
Pop them in the oven for between 8-10 minutes.  Once they have bake leave them on the baking tray for a minute or two then transfer to a cooling rack.
 
My second biscuits where triple choc chip, which is the same mixture as the rocky road biscuits I just left out the coco powder, cherries and marshmallows and as I need to make a lot of biscuits for a 30cm tower just like they did on the Great British Bake off on Tuesday, I tripled the amounts so landed up with about 300g of chocolate in white, milk and dark.
 
Once the biscuits had cooled I started my assembly and this is my biscuit tower
 
 
 
 
 
Our two lovely judges on Great Blog Bake Off are -
 
 
Do take the time to click and go to their blogs as they are both lovely ladies and baking mad!
 

4 comments:

  1. wow that is a huge amount of biscuits! Well done on making your tower, it looks great! Also well done on making it before 8pm too...only just mind! ;-)
    thanks for joining in, I hope you make it again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  2. wow that is a huge amount of biscuits! Well done on making your tower, it looks great! Also well done on making it before 8pm too...only just mind! ;-)
    thanks for joining in, I hope you make it again next week.

    ReplyDelete
  3. you did make the Pimms cake!!! if you blogged it let me know and i will add it ot the pinterest board (looks lovely)
    i love the sound of your rocky road biscuits mmmmmm and what a great biscuit tower and it stayed up too!!!
    well done on linking up and for making some great bakes xx

    ReplyDelete
  4. Thank you ladies, we have a lot of biscuits that need eating up. I am thinking of turning the Pimms cake into Pimms cupcakes for a Macmillan coffee morning this Friday, will write up a blog then with the recipe. Now off to plan this weeks bakes.

    ReplyDelete