Sunday 25 March 2012

Jean Challange

Miss Lizzie of http://missielizzie-meandmyshadow.blogspot.com/ set a challenge to remake things out of an old pair of jeans.  This challenged appealed to me for two reasons, 1) I like a challenge, particularly a crafting one and 2) I have some pairs of jeans that no longer fit me, waiting to either go to the charity shop or to be upcycled. 
So I took a pair of jeans into my workshop; after sitting for a while wondering if I should turn them into a skirt and then realising their would be no point as the jeans don't fit as jeans they would not fit as a skirt.  I decided a teddy bear would be a good use, so I went through my collection of vintage patterns and found a make do and mend pattern for a teddy bear.


This is the result of that pattern and my first ever attempt at a soft toy. 

I then made a crayon roll:-

As you can see, I added a patch of fabric from my scraps stash to give a bit of colour rather then having all blue crayon roll.  The inside of the crayon roll, I've used felt as I find this better for crayons and pencils.

Then I moved on to:-



A zipped cosmetic purse, with flower applique for a bit of extra colour.  I also lined the cosmetic purse in the fabric I cut the flowers from.  Alas my flash was not strong enough in the evening light to pick this out.

I then made:-


A little pocket money purse, using the zip from the jeans and freehand machine embroidered the words on.

And finally:-


A little girls tote bag made from the bottom part of one leg of the jeans.  Which I embellished with a little cotton flower I made and the cotton tape I had in my cupboard.


In the end I managed to make five items from one pair of jeans, which I think is not to bad considering I was using my own jeans and I am only five foot tall. 

4 comments:

  1. Oh wow!! You have been busy.

    The teddy bear is so cute, I love the vintage fabric on the ears too, gives him real character.

    The little pocket money purse is such a sweet idea - and wow you, freehand machine embroidery!!??

    Thanks so much for joining in x

    ReplyDelete
  2. what lot of lovely things well done

    ReplyDelete
  3. Wobblymouse, thank you. It was a fun challenge to do.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Great projects - I like the crayon roll particularly. I have lots of products I have made from old jeans on my blog - they are sucha great material to use.

    ReplyDelete